Sunday, October 17, 2010

Only in the Florida Keys........

I have to  share something funny.  When my Mom died early Saturday morning, we called hospice. The nurse came to check and make sure she had actually deceased, and called the funeral parlor to come and pick up the body.  So the nurse and I are putting on my Mom's special dress and getting her ready to go, and she says to me......"Do you know Doris and Bob?"  I'm thinking who the hell are Doris and Bob.  I reply, "No, who are they?"   She says "Well you know.........the keys."  When someone says something like that it means.....only in the Florida keys. At least once a day you hear the expression "Only in the Florida keys."  I said....."yessss."   She said, "Well, they deliver the Miami Herarld down here.  And they also pick up bodies for the funeral home."  I said, "So they drop of a few papers, pick up a body??"  She said "Yeah, basically.  If it's a heavy body, they both stop delivery of the paper and come. If it's someone little like your Mom, one of them will come while the other continues delivering the paper."  I said "They're not going to pick her up with a paper truck, are they????"  She said "no, it's not that bad. They do get the van from the funeral home."   Humor even in death.  I'm sure my Mom got a big kick out of that, being that she loved to read.

Only in the Florida Keys..........

No comments:

Post a Comment